1 Which three layers of the OSI model provide similar network services to those provided by the application layer of the TCP/IP model? (Choose three.)
- data link layer
- application layer
- transport layer
- physical layer
- session layer
- presentation layer
2 Which scenario describes a function provided by the transport layer?
- A corporate worker is accessing a web server located on a corporate network. The transport layer formats the screen so the web page appears properly no matter what device is being used to view the web site.
- A student is playing a short web-based movie with sound. The movie and sound are encoded within the transport layer header.
- A student has two web browser windows open in order to access two web sites. The transport layer ensures the correct web page is delivered to the correct browser window.
- A student is using a classroom VoIP phone to call home. The unique identifier burned into the phone is a transport layer address used to contact another network device on the same network.
3 A PC that is communicating with a web server has a TCP window size of 6,000 bytes when sending data and a packet size of 1,500 bytes. Which byte of information will the web server acknowledge after it has received two packets of data from the PC?
4 A client creates a packet to send to a server. The client is requesting SMTP service. What number will be used as the destination port number in the sending packet?
5 Which protocol is used by a client to communicate securely with a web server?
7 Which applications or services allow hosts to act as client and server at the same time?
- client/server applications
- authentication services
- email applications
- P2P applications
8 What type of information is contained in a DNS MX record?
- the domain name mapped to mail exchange servers
- the IP address for an FQDN entry
- the IP address of an authoritative name server
- the FQDN of the alias used to identify a service
9 Which networking model is being used when an author uploads one chapter document to a file server of a book publisher?
10 What is a common protocol that is used with peer-to-peer applications such as WireShare, Bearshare, and Shareaza?
11 Which three protocols operate at the application layer of the TCP/IP model? (Choose three.)
12What is an advantage of SMB over FTP?
- Only SMB establishes two simultaneous connections with the client, making the data transfer faster.
- Only with SMB can data transfers occur in both directions.
- SMB clients can establish a long-term connection to the server.
- SMB is more reliable than FTP because SMB uses TCP and FTP uses UDP.
13 What is an example of network communication that uses the client-server model?
- A workstation initiates an ARP to find the MAC address of a receiving host.
- A workstation initiates a DNS request when the user types www.cisco.com in the address bar of a web browser.
- A user prints a document by using a printer that is attached to a workstation of a coworker.
- A user uses eMule to download a file that is shared by a friend after the file location is determined.
14 Which layer in the TCP/IP model is used for formatting, compressing, and encrypting data?
- network access
15 Which application layer protocol uses message types such as GET, PUT, and POST?
16 What is the function of the HTTP GET message?
- to request an HTML page from a web server
- to upload content to a web server from a web client
- to send error information from a web server to a web client
- to retrieve client email from an email server using TCP port 110
17 The application layer of the TCP/IP model performs the functions of what three layers of the OSI model? (Choose three.)
- data link
18 Which three statements describe a DHCP Discover message? (Choose three.) When a host configured to use DHCP powers up on a network it sends a DHCPDISCOVER message. FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF is the L2 broadcast address. A DHCP server replies with a unicast DHCPOFFER message back to the host.
- The source MAC address is 48 ones (FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF).
- All hosts receive the message, but only a DHCP server replies.
- Only the DHCP server receives the message.
- The message comes from a server offering an IP address.
- The destination IP address is 255.255.255.255.
- The message comes from a client seeking an IP address.
19 Which flag in the TCP header is used in response to a received FIN in order to terminate connectivity between two network devices?
20 Which field in the TCP header indicates the status of the three-way handshake process?
- control bits
21 Which factor determines TCP window size?
- the amount of data the source is capable of sending at one time
- the number of services included in the TCP segment
- the amount of data to be transmitted
- the amount of data the destination can process at one time
22 Why does HTTP use TCP as the transport layer protocol?
- because transmission errors can be tolerated easily
- because HTTP requires reliable delivery
- because HTTP is a best-effort protocol
- to ensure the fastest possible download speed
23 Which two characteristics are associated with UDP sessions? (Choose two.)
- Transmitted data segments are tracked.
- Destination devices receive traffic with minimal delay.
- Received data is unacknowledged.
- Unacknowledged data packets are retransmitted.
- Destination devices reassemble messages and pass them to an application.
24 Which three application layer protocols use TCP? (Choose three.) Some protocols require the reliable data transport that is provided by TCP. In addition, these protocols do not have real time communication requirements and can tolerate some data loss while minimizing protocol overhead. Examples of these protocols are SMTP, FTP, and HTTP.
25 A client application needs to terminate a TCP communication session with a server. Place the termination process steps in the order that they will occur. (Not all options are used.)
- client sends ACK — step 4
- client sends FIN — step 1
- server sends ACK — step 2
- server sends FIN — step 3
26 In what two situations would UDP be better than TCP as the preferred transport protocol? (Choose two.)
- when delivery overhead is not an issue
- when applications do not need to guarantee delivery of the data
- when destination port numbers are dynamic
- when a faster delivery mechanism is needed
- when applications need to guarantee that a packet arrives intact, in sequence, and unduplicated
27 Which two types of applications are best suited for UDP? (Choose two.)
- applications that can tolerate some data loss, but require little or no delay
- applications that require reliable delivery
- applications that need data flow control
- applications that handle reliability themselves
- applications that need the reordering of segments
28 What information is used by TCP to reassemble and reorder received segments? At the transport layer, TCP uses the sequence numbers in the header of each TCP segment to reassemble the segments into the correct order.
- fragment numbers
- port numbers
- acknowledgment numbers
- sequence numbers
29 Which two fields are included in the TCP header but not in the UDP header? (Choose two.) The sequence number and window fields are included in the TCP header but not in the UDP header.
- destination port
- sequence number
- source port
30 What is a characteristic of UDP?
- Applications that use UDP are always considered unreliable.
- UDP datagrams take the same path and arrive in the correct order at the destination.
- UDP reassembles the received datagrams in the order they were received.
- UDP only passes data to the network when the destination is ready to receive the data.
31 Which three fields are used in a UDP segment header? (Choose three.)
- Source Port
- Window Size
- Sequence Number
- Acknowledgment Number
32 Which three statements characterize UDP? (Choose three.)
- UDP relies on application layer protocols for error detection.
- UDP is a low overhead protocol that does not provide sequencing or flow control mechanisms.
- UDP provides connection-oriented, fast transport of data at Layer 3.
- UDP provides basic connectionless transport layer functions.
- UDP relies on IP for error detection and recovery.
- UDP provides sophisticated flow control mechanisms.